Bachelor of Arts in Animation
Primary language is English but some pages are written in German. Please use an online translation tool to read them.
The animation bachelor program at the Lucerne School of Art, Film & Design has a total duration of 6 semesters, equal to 180 ECTS. The bachelor is composed of modules which teach you in-depth knowledge of all things to do with animation, as well as interdisciplinary artistic topics (+Colabor, +Reflect), ISA modules and theory (+Focus).
Each semester ends with an end-of-semester presentation (SEP). Here you each show in approx. 7 minutes an entertaining summary of your work that you made during the semester, individually or in groups. The module-free weeks are used to prepare the SEP, to finish off or correct projects, or to follow up on personal interests.
You can take up to 6 years to finish your studies. This allows for the possibility of a gap year to do long-term internships, take on jobs, earn money or just collect other life experience.
During your studies it is also possible to do an internship or exchange semester (in the 4th semester). Read more about that on our page: Exchange.
Since part of our curriculum takes place in English and we have exchange students visiting us every year - plus due to the fact that most of the animation community is an English-speaking world - we recommend you have solid knowledge of English. Whoever needs to brush up on their language skills should do this with special courses at HSLU.
Information for Students
- How to apply for a Bachelor in Animation or Master of Arts in Film
- On Programs and courses you can read about the structure of the studies
- The Special Events Calendar - a must for all students
- 42 is the answer to everything: introducing the Hitchhiker's Guide to Animation!
- See our NAKUs if you need an introduction or freshen up your digital skills
- Want to see how they do it elsewhere? The Exchange page is the place to go
- A list of all our Students / Category:Student
- A list of all our Studentfilms / Category:Film
- Read the Assessment Criteria to know what we want from you
- See the Project Submission to send your finished project to our archive
- BA Examination - the timeline and requirements
- Use the Template for Studentpage to make your own profile, the Template for Studentfilm to create a page for any of your films
- Use the Template for Filmcredits so you won't forget anybody
Rent equipment or use the schools workshops
- For BA Animation and MA Film specific material check our Rental
- Additional equipment can be borrowed from https://ausleihe.hslu.ch
- Workshops at Art&Design https://sites.hslu.ch/werkstatt/ and https://www.hslu.ch/de-ch/design-kunst/studium/werkstaetten/
BA Animation Team
- Head of Department: Jürgen Haas
- Character Design, Drawn Animation, Deputy Head of Department: Jochen Ehmann
- Animation Theory: Christian Gasser, Tina Ohnmacht, Stefanie Bräuer
- Experimental Animation, Distribution and Sale: Gerd Gockell
- Storytelling: Ted Sieger
- Expanded Animation: François Chalet
- Drawn Animation: Justine Klaiber
- Sounddesign: Thomas Gassmann, Jeroen Visser
- CGI, NAKU Coordinator: Christian Schwaller
- Technical Support: Jean First, Tim Markgraf, Jeroen Visser
- Artistic Assistant: Rooms, Rental, Finance: Elena Rast
- Artistic Associate: Student Coordinator, Stop Motion: Kat Woodtli
- Animation CGI: Matthias Lappe
- Advanced Animation 3D: Kai Müri
- Advanced Animation 2D & 3D: Erik Schmidt
- Advanced Animation 2D: Sara Airries
- Art Skills: Mhill Krasniqi
- Acting for Animation: Jane Mumford
- Compositing: Tobias Kaufmann, Dominik Gehring
- Concept Art: Bin Han To
- Experimental Narration, Story Development: Maja Gehrig
- Editing: Dustin Rees, Dominik Gehring
- Stop Motion: Adrian Flückiger, Irmgard Walthert, Christine Munz
- Storyboard: Christian Puille
- Lighting/Camera: Christine Munz
Honorable mention of former colleagues:
- History of Animation and Theory: Otto Alder
- 2D traditional drawn Animation: Jesús Pérez
- Experimental Narration, Story Development: Paul Bush
- Technical Support: Ignacio Duelo, Patxi Aguirre
- Sounddesign: Wolf-Ingo Römer († 2008)
- Assistants: Susanne Steffen, Lea Hunziker, Daniela P. Meier
About the lecturers
Distribution and Sale
Get in touch with us on our blog animation-luzern.ch .